Some questions...answer one, five, all or none!
1) What did/does evangelical Christianity/other Christians tell you a "personal relationship with Jesus" looked like/felt like? Further, what was/is your understanding of what Jesus wanted/wants as far as a relationship?
2) What did/do you want from your relationship with Jesus? What amount of that did/didn't/does/doesn't feel real, is something you experience(d), felt/feel, etc.?
3) If and when the relationship wasn't what you wanted/thought/asked for/tried to curry, how did that make you feel?
4) A criticism of my saying my own personal relationship with Jesus "failed as a relationship" is for others to tell me that I wrongly expected it to be like a human relationship. I agree...I was told and continue to be told that that that "relationship" has human qualities and should meet my human needs. Is that unique to me? To you? To second-generation Christians who accepted Jesus in their hearts as children?
5) If you did at one time but don't any longer identify yourself as an evangelical Christian...
- How has your connection with God changed?
- What about the "relationship" stuff?
-Explain the difference between your current experience of God and your former evangelical Christian one.
Photo credit: Webbelina