Thursday, July 1, 2010

"Remembering What I Ache For"

Just read a new post by one of my favorite bloggers and then read the one before it. The whole blog is beautiful, but this post in particular speaks to me in a way that makes me weep.

Here's just a blurb from the post:


"I woke up this morning, my face wet with tears, hearing the opening lines of “The Invitation” echoing from my dreams: 'It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for.' I pressed my hand to the ache in my chest."


And another:


"And I remembered why I have read and written all of my life. I remembered how much I ache to write. At one point Azar said, 'We write to retrieve what is lost,' and I wanted to weep. When we write or paint or compose or dance (or do any other kind of creative work) we retrieve parts of ourselves we did not even know were lost- the stories and characters that have peopled our lives, the meaning that was waiting to be uncovered and co-created, meaning that sustains us and can sustain our people (and who are not our people?) Receiving others’ creative expressions we expand our own vision, stir our own imagination and open ourselves to a broader, deeper wisdom."



Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment